What do I do if I am in an accident?

We don’t like to think about automobile accidents, but they are part of reality, and everyone will probably be involved in at least one, maybe more, in their lifetime.  When you are involved in an auto accident, there are steps that need to be taken to properly file a report and avoid penalties for not following Florida law.

First when involved in an auto accident move your vehicle in such a manner that it doesn’t obstruct traffic.  Ask all parties involved if there are any injuries and call the police to file a report.

Many may ask:  “Must I call the police?”  Accidents involving an injury or death, a hit-and-run or intoxicated driver or property damage that appears to be over $500 need to be reported immediately to law enforcement.

*Make sure you have your driver’s license, registration and insurance information available when the officer arrives on the scene.

After the police arrive at the scene exchange information with all drivers of vehicles involved and take pictures of the property damages for future evidence, possibly in court.

* However, if a crash report hasn’t been filed by law enforcement, then you’ll need to do so within 10 days of the accident.

Suppose you are the only party involved in an accident.  Should you hit an unoccupied vehicle, a light pole or some other type of property, you are required to notify the owner.  If you cannot locate the owner, then attach a note to the damaged vehicle or property, including your name, address and license plate number.  Again, take photos and report the accident to law enforcement right away.

The state of Florida is serious about behavior following an accident.  Failure to follow proper procedures could result in license suspension, criminal charges or other penalties.

If you have recently been involved in accident, you will want an experienced and very knowledgeable personal injury attorney as your advocate.  Attorney, Michael C. Blickensderfer has more than 25 years legal experience and will be happy to offer a free case evaluation regarding your potential personal injury claim. Call Blick Law Firm today at 813-931-0840.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

About Blick Law

Public Relations Specialist
This entry was posted in Blog, Personal Injury and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.