It is that time of year again where we make and break New Year’s resolutions. We look back on the year 2010 and reflect on what we did do or for that matter what we forgot to do. We do our best to set goals, promising to not forget them this time around! Well, how about making goals with a little more common sense… screw losing weight as a resolution, lets add safer driving to the list!
Whether by motorcycle, car or train we find ourselves on the road daily. Instead of making a New Year’s resolution that you know you will end up not meeting, let us use more common sense on the road. Here are a few safety tips for the 2011 New Year’s resolution of safe driving that you and your loved ones can partake in:
- “Click it or ticket.” Remember that campaign? Well in Florida, it is not only the law to buckle up but also a major safety precaution on the road. Buckle up and encourage others to do the same.
- Avoid distractions. Texting, putting on makeup, talking on the phone are all distractions that take you from your full concentration on the road. An accident can happen in a matter of seconds.
- Check your blind spots. Especially before you change a lane do not assume that looking in one mirror will cut it. Check all sides before changing lanes to prevent collisions.
- Do not tailgate. And no, I do not mean at a football game. Try to refrain from riding too close to the driver in front of you. Be patient and slow your speed because any sudden stop from the driver ahead will catch you off guard and you will be the cause of the accident.
- Keep up with vehicle maintenance. Ignoring check engine lights can end up hurting you in the long run.
- Watch for pedestrians. Pedestirans have the right away. Do not assume they will slow before crossing.
- When it rains it pours. Before the Florida storms roll in make sure you have strong windshield wipers and are able to handle any rainy weather.
If you have any other questions regarding what ways you can have a safe and happy new year, call your personal injury attorney today!