TAMPA Red-light cameras will be installed at 19 intersections throughout the city, transportation officials said today.
The cameras will be installed beginning next month.
“Red-light running has become an epidemic in Tampa and Florida, and I think these cameras will be a good deterrent and will be a way to change the culture,” Mayor Bob Buckhorn said.
City council members voted 4-3 in April to approve a contract with an Arizona-based company to install and operate the controversial traffic devices.
Officials have chosen intersections where red-light running commonly occurs, Buckhorn said.
“I think the data drives the locations, and we’ve approached this as scientifically as we can,” he said.
The cameras are expected to generate about $2 million a year for the city. But Buckhorn said he believes the main purpose for the cameras is to prevent crashes.
“I think as people realize there are penalties to pay for this behavior and you put other peoples’ lives at risk to save yourself three seconds and you get caught, maybe the behavior will change,” he said.
Red-light cameras will be installed at the following intersections:
1. Adamo Drive eastbound at 50th Street/Tamiami Trail
2. Fowler Avenue eastbound at Nebraska Avenue
3. Hillsborough Avenue westbound at Nebraska
4. Hillsborough eastbound and westbound at 22nd Street
5. Waters Avenue eastbound at U.S. 41/Florida Avenue
6. Armenia Avenue northbound at Hillsborough
7. Himes Avenue southbound at Hillsborough
8. Lois Avenue northbound at Hillsborough
9. Nebraska northbound at Hillsborough
10. Nebraska northbound at Fowler
11. 50th/Tamiami northbound and southbound at Adamo
12. Dale Mabry Highway southbound at Gandy Boulevard; and Gandy eastbound at Dale Mabry
13. Dale Mabry southbound at Kennedy Boulevard; and Kennedy eastbound at Dale Mabry
14. Manhattan Avenue southbound at Gandy
15. U.S. 41/Florida southbound at Waters
16. Columbus Drive westbound and eastbound at Dale Mabry
17. Gandy westbound and eastbound at West Shore Boulevard; and West Shore northbound at Gandy
18. Waters Avenue westbound and eastbound at Armenia
19. Kennedy eastbound at Ashley Drive