TAMPA- Homeowners struggling to make their mortgage payments should beware of con artists and scams that promise to save their homes and lower their mortgage debt or payments.
Some tips to avoid mortgage modification scams are:
1. Beware of anyone seeking to charge you in advance for mortgage modification services – in most cases, charging fees in advance for a mortgage modification is illegal, except for an attorney or a licensed mortgage broker.
2. Applying to the federal Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP) is free and for the public.
4. Check references. If an individual or company claims to be affiliated with HAMP or displays a seal or logo representing the U.S. government in correspondence or on the Internet, you should check the connection by calling the Homeowner’s HOPE™ Hotline.
Also, by asking the company that is assisting you for their NMLS number. This states the approval for the company or individual to conduct business in mortgage modifications.
5. Beware of individuals or companies that offer money-back guarantees.
6. Beware of individuals or companies that advise you as a homeowner to stop making your mortgage payments or to not contact your mortgage servicer.
Blick Law Firm understands your options and can negotiate between you and your mortgage company. Do not just let anyone who claims to be experts help you! We are experienced and able to help you with your loan modification, mortgage loan and approval.
Call today for your free consultation and screening at 813-931-0840.