Driving Under the Influence (DUI) has severe consequences which not only affect your immediate lifestyle, but affect you financially as well. There are certain factors involved in DUI cases that can determine how severe your sentence(s) may be, thus resulting in financial hardship.
A determining factor to the severity of a drinking and driving case may result from past record(s). If you are a first time offender your sentence(s) are typically made up of:
1) Serving 50 + hours of community service
2) Court fees
3) DUI School
4) Attending Victim Impact Pane
5) Possible ignition interlock
Charges for a first time offense start at $500 and can be as high as $1,000 in court fines; depending upon the severity of your blood alcohol level at the time of arrest. All cases may be faced with jail time. Repeat offenders are more likely to incur higher court fines and/or community service hours.
According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, Fine Schedule s. 316.193(2)(a)-(b), F.S.
- First Conviction: Not less than $500, or more than $1,000. With Blood/Breath Alcohol Level (BAL) of .15 or higher or minor in the vehicle: Not less than $1,000, or more than $2,000.
- Second Conviction: Not less than $1,000, or more than $2,000. With BAL of .15 or higher or minor in the vehicle: Not less than $2,000, or more than $4,000.
- Third Conviction: More than 10 years from second: Not less than $2,000, or more than $5,000. With BAL of .15 or higher or minor in the vehicle: Not less than $4,000.
- Fourth or Subsequent Conviction: Not less than $2,000.
Blood alcohol level also plays a part to the results of one’s case. Under Florida law, DUI is one offense, proved by impairment of normal faculties or unlawful blood alcohol or breath alcohol level of .08 or above. In many cases the more severe the blow, the higher the punishment of one’s case.
These are just a few factors that determine the sentence of one’s drinking and driving offense. Hiring a Tampa DUI attorney may be beneficial to the outcome of one’s case. An experienced attorney attempts to avoid jail time at all costs and keep punishments to a minimum, allowing the defendant to cope and move on with their life.
If you are in need of a DUI criminal attorney, call Blick Law Firm today at 813-931-0840, for a free consultation. Attorney, Michael C. Blickensderfer, not only helps those in need with their legal rights, but assists in guiding clients in the right direction for a better and prosperous future. Think quick, call Blick!