After you are involved in an accident it is normal to feel shock, panic, or worry, but it is very important that you take the proper steps to ensure you do not injure yourself or others, or break the law.
Immediately after an auto accident occurs, check yourself for injuries.
• If you are injured, it is important to call 911 if you can. If you are seriously injured, try to remain still until help arrives.
• If you are not injured, make sure none of your passengers are injured. If any of your passengers are injured, call 911.
Move yourself, and if possible, your vehicle to safety.
• If it is safe to drive your vehicle, pull it to the side of the road, so it does not pose a threat to other drivers.
• If you cannot drive your vehicle, leave it in its place. Turn on your hazards or use road flares to warn those on the road, and wait for help.
• Wait with your passengers at the side of the road, the sidewalk, or a nearby parking lot until help arrives.
Notify the authorities. No matter the severity of the accident, it is important that you call the police. In the state of Florida, if you fail to report an accident that causes $500 or more of damages, you are violating the law.
Document the accident. Following an accident, avoid discussing fault with the involved parties. These details should only be discussed with your lawyer and police. It is also a good idea to do the following:
• Get the names and badge numbers of responding police officers
• Ask for a copy of the accident report
• Take pictures of all cars involved
• Talk to witnesses and record their names and contact information
Exchange information. After the accident report is filed with police, you should exchange the following information with the other driver or drivers:
• Full name and contact information
• Insurance company and policy number
• Driver’s license and license plate numbers
• Make, model, and color of the vehicle
• Location of accident
Blick Law Firm understands your need for legal advice and assistance after an auto accident. Call us now at 888-973-2776 for a free consultation with one of our trusted personal injury attorneys! [CLICK HERE]